Public Utilities Law
Need an experienced attorney to help you with electric, gas, water and telecommunications issues?
Richard C. Balough has been representing clients with utility issues for over 30 years. His clients have included one of the largest mass transportation agencies in the country, large electric customers, municipalities, and other governmental agencies. He has appeared on behalf of his clients before such agencies as:
- Illinois Commerce Commission
- Texas Public Utility Commission
- Texas Railroad Commission
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
Over the years, Mr. Balough has:
- Saved clients millions of dollars that would have been charged by electric, water and gas utilities
- Assisted municipalities and counties in obtaining certificates to operate as local exchange carriers
- Represented competitive local communications carriers
- Assisted a large landowner in moving a high voltage transmission line from the property
- Represented municipally-owned and cooperatively-owned electric utilities in their regulatory affairs and contract negotiations
Mr. Balough started his regulatory utility law career as an assistant city attorney for the City of Austin, TX, which owns its own electric utility, including gas, coal-fired and nuclear generating facilities. He also represented several of the largest electric cooperatives in Texas as well as several municipally-owned electric utilities. In Illinois, he represented consumers as an attorney with the Citizens Utility Board. In his private practice, he continues to assist the Citizens Utility Board in some cases. He represents several municipalities and governmental agencies in their electric and water rate matters before the Illinois Commerce Commission and in court and assists those clients in other contractual issues regarding utility service. He also represents competitive telecommunications carriers.